Thursday, January 15, 2009

Eva's obsession with The Biggest Loser

Yes, I admit that I am obsessed with the show "The Biggest Loser". I can't exactly pinpoint why. Maybe it is because I like to see the contestants turn their lives around and get healthy, or maybe because watching the trainers, Bob and Jillian, drill their teams to the brink of death is motivational yet amusing to me (if they can do it after years of being sedentary, then I can certainly get to the gym today), but part of it is pure fascination.

As I started my group training session yesterday, I got a sudden pang of enthusiasm when one of the women (all of which are new mothers in this group) and my trainer, whom I compare to a sweeter version of Jillian, were discussing this week's episode. Specifically, they were discussing Bob's blow-up at one of his trainees (which I thought was AWESOME). My first thought was a "so there" to my husband, since he thinks I'm just a wee bit crazy for watching every episode for the past three seasons. Then, my next rational thought was "I'm so glad that I'm not the only one with this obsession". These women, are not only self-proclaimed addicts to The Biggest Loser, they are also in phenomenal shape. I can understand why my trainer would be a fan of the show due to her being in the same profession as Bob and Jillian, but what about my fellow workout partner? Turns out, she watches the show for the same exact reasons I do.

I'm mainly just fascinated with the aspect of how The Biggest Loser contestants have all gotten to the point where they are at the start of the show. After watching the background pieces on each person, you'll find some with food addictions, or some with a hardship they couldn't get over in their past, for others they simply "let themselves go".

On the news, they continually report on the obesity problem in America for adults and children.
I will admit, that before I really started watching the show, I wasn't aware of how big this problem apparently is. See, I live in a very fit community. It's a beachtown, which has a lot to do with people's incentive for staying in shape. But more than that, it is an active community where people stay socially involved by staying fit. Whether we see our acquaintances at the gym, a pilates class, playing a sport, or jogging on one of the many trails in town, it seems to be the primary and socially acceptable way to meet people and gain friends in town. It's as though your exercise agenda adds credibility to your character. It's amazing how many times I've heard "oh she runs half-marathons", or "she goes to the pilates studio", or "he goes to the crosstraining gym". A big part of conversations with friends, co-workers, acquaintances is our workout schedule. Just ask my husband, having moved here only three years ago, he has more friends than I do, and 90% of them he met by seeing them daily at the gym. Therefore, living in my small and somewhat vain community has put blinders on me, as to what a big part of America looks like. I apologize for that. On the upside, it provides me with a plethora of exercise partners who are all working for the same healthy goals, and thus eliminating a great deal of temptation that middle-America may face.

The other part of my fascination stems from my compassionate side. I can understand the difficulties each contestant faced during their lives, that led them down the unhealthy path they are on. Then my excitement builds each week as I see these people shed pounds, add strength and gain confidence. Ultimately, I just like to see people improve their lives and themselves. Watching this, drives me to improve my own health and strength. So when my trainer starts telling me to "push through the pain", I find some hidden inner strength to complete this tortuous action. The result is that I've steadily gotten stronger every week since the birth of my baby. Woo Hoo to that!

So thank you Biggest Loser for those "last chance workouts".

http://www.nbc.com/The_Biggest_Loser/

1 comment:

  1. That's so funny because I'm CRAZY obsessed with The Biggest Loser, too! I cried last week when Jerry got voted off. But did you see how well he did at home? I think their reasons for keeping Dan were right on though - he doesn't know what it's like to live any other way. He needs all the help he can get. I hope he takes advantage of this opportunity and changes his life. It's amazing to watch and see these people not only transform their lives but also transform their outlook on life. You can actually SEE their confidence growing week after week. It makes my heart smile for them. It also motivates me to work harder. I adore Jillian - that's why I have her books and video! That's the type of trainer I need.
    As for Bob, I cannot believe he lost it last week! Holy moly! I really hope it worked beacuse I am tired of Joelle whining and she's the one who deserved to go home last week, not Jerry.
    Can't wait to watch this weeks episode!

    ReplyDelete