Sunday, January 25, 2009

If the economy is so bad, explain this!

WTF! That's all I can say. The economy is horrible, right? People are losing their jobs left and right, correct? Then why is it that every time I go shopping, the service is shitty, the shelves are empty and I can't find a parking spot??

We just got home from Babies R Us where we potentially could have spent $500. today. We need some big ticket items. Besides the fact that we couldn't even find a salesperson to help us, when we did find the area where the items were, they were sold out.

We picked up a couple things that weren't even what we went for. The lines at the register were long and then one cashier closed. Seriously!! If the job market is so tough, why isn't service impeccable?

This isn't just the case at Babies R Us. I've had the same problem at Target, Stride Rite, Macy's and Bloomingdale's recently (to name a few.)

I was shopping for bridal gowns with my soon to be sister in law yesterday. We went to a bridal salon that only sells couture gowns (I would say the average price there for a wedding dress is around $3000-3500.) We literally had to park in the hotel parking lot next door and had to make an appointment. If Bride A didn't buy a dress, our consultant was about to move on to another client! (The service there was excellent, I must add, for a change.) I witnessed several brides purchase gowns in a short time period yesterday. Of the gowns I recognized, 1 was a $5000 Monique Lhuillier, another a $5500 Ines de Santo. I've heard the wedding biz is seeing a slump, too. I guess these brides decided to serve their guests chicken instead of filet in lieu of giving up their couture! (I say good decision!)

I believe the economy is bad. I am starting to hear of some people I personally know having troubles. Independent contractors who aren't getting projects, friends whose hours are being cut, or their company's are closing. It just seems like the media is spurring this economic crisis more than anything else because in LA, it seems pretty much like business as usual in the stores.

Word to those gainfully employed in a restaurant, store or other service position: Maybe you oughta "go above and beyond" because if the service I've seen keeps up, and the economy keeps going down, you will probably be living on your unemployment check.

No comments:

Post a Comment